From the introduction:
"The area around [Weir] farm had been known as 'The Land of Nod' as early as 1757 and the road, one of two which bisect the farm, was already in the public record as Nod Hill Road in 1765. The origin of the name and what it refers to are unknown. But it was in common use; all of the visitors to the farm referred to it as 'The Land of Nod', and several of them included some variant of 'The Land of Nod' in the titles of many paintings, drawings, and etchings made there."
"Weir... had many friends in the art world. Most of them appear to have been guests at the farm at one time or another, many of them regular guests every summer. They included most of the American painters of note in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century — Childe Hassam, John Singer Sargent, John Twachtman, Henry Pinkham Ryder, Edmund Tarbell, Frederic Remington, Frank Millet. Thus Weir’s farm became a center of American art and its landscape a focus."
An electronic version of the book can be downloaded here (41 MB).